Our Web Design Process
Your website is frequently the initial point of contact for potential customers and clients. Its primary objective is to grab their attention, build trust, and direct them to relevant information quickly and ultimately, convert prospects into paying customers and generate sales. But what does the engine of a lead generating website look like? What are the steps to getting there?
I'm going to share our web design process with you from beginning to end to illustrate why it works and why it's different than other WordPress designers and developers.
Our structured process from start to finish
Neon Flamingo has a time-tested process for all of our web design builds we use for each client to repeat great results. One of the things that separate our custom web design solutions from most web design companies is that you will see a solid sample of our work before you even sign a contract.
And by solid sample, I mean a free homepage mockup.
Most WordPress web design companies have you locked into a contract before you even see their work. Not us. We put our listening, attention to detail, and research skills to the test by giving you a free homepage design on the line...even before signing a contract. It wasn't always like that though. It's taken years and years to grow that kind of confidence, let me tell you.
First things first, we need to find out the outline of your project, your ambitions, and the outcomes that would make you view it as a success. Early discussions provide an opportunity for us to outline how we work, and our vision and ensure that we’re a good fit for each other. We’ll help establish the best routes forward and outline some key routes or options.
The discovery phase helps us understand your business, competition, opportunities, and challenges. This knowledge feeds into all future decisions and enables us to give you the very best website.
2. Wireframing, UX & Content
We collect all info from the exploration phase and design your homepage mockup. And if you love it, we'll continue to work with each other and enter our planning and framework phase. It’s at this point we create a site map, the outline of routes users will navigate through your site, and note any technical requirements or hurdles.
We’ll discuss any requirements for storyboarding, content, photography, video, icons, element collages, and illustrations, and agree on timescales for delivery. We'll also identify the relevant keywords that you want your website to rank for and then prepare a plan to structure and tag your website in a way that's optimized for those keywords.
- Site structure planning
- Wire framing
- Search engine optimized content plan (We follow Google Search Essential Guidelines)
- User experience design
After the planning and framework are complete, we finish designing the inner pages and page templates based on the homepage design that was agreed upon. We keep you involved in the process the whole time, sharing concepts and sketches along the way. Some businesses have a few service or product pages and some have many pages and custom post types to organize their content. Every page, template, nook, and cranny on the site will be perfect.
Once the core page mockups are designed and signed off, it’s time for development.
With all designs signed off, it’s time to see things in action as our developers begin to breathe life into the design, building a site that’s viewable in your browser on one of our development servers (away from the public). This gives people involved in the project a chance to try out the mechanics of the website and ensure it will achieve the objectives and perform as imagined.
We populate your website with all the necessary content, text, and imagery and put our content and SEO plan in place.
- Content population
- On-page SEO
- Custom code
- Added Functionality
- Plugin integrations
We run varying tests throughout the process, including a full code review after initial development as well as cross-browser and load time testing prior to going live. We ensure all our designs work across modern browsers and platforms to give end users a consistent and rewarding experience. All 3rd party tools and integrations will run flawlessly and we double check that all conversion paths are set.
Once we've tested everything, it's time to ensure backups are in place then launch the website to your server's production environment. Unless we are managing your website monthly, we keep it on our servers.
The time has come to launch. We break this down into 2 phases: launch & post launch. You need to check off the final items on your list, make sure the site is running in its production environment, and launch. Then, you need to make sure you resolve the issues that crop up after the site goes live.
Neon Flamingo assures this process will run smoothly with flying colors from start to finish. Here are a few questions we ask ourselves when going over a post launch checklist:
- Is the internal & external linking structure consistent and functional across all web pages?
- Does your website layout appear consistent across various browsers and devices?
- Are all page titles, meta descriptions, and URLs complete and correct?
- Has the website's loading time been optimized and tested?
Establish a plan for your website
Business we work with are quite different in terms of management. Some companies have their own content & SEO plan with an in house content team. In that case, we create training for them so they can manage their own website. For our monthly maintenance clients, we provide updates, security scans, and backups as well as offer content marketing, publishing services, technical SEO, and graphic design services.
Whether you have an in-house team or you need managed monthly services, Neon Flamingo can help you create your dream website and take the stress of managing it monthly while keeping it optimized, high-performing, fast, and secure.
The goal is to not just launch your website and let it sit stagnant. Your website should be convincing people your business is the right choice. It should be generating leads and sales for your business, am I right?
Promoting your website
Now that you have an awesome website ready to go to work for your business, it's time to, well, put it to work! Promoting your site launch is an exciting opportunity to raise awareness about your brand and attract more visitors to your pages.
Which areas you decide to focus on will largely depend on your available budget and resources. While ads and sponsored posts can certainly be effective, we've witnessed clients experience remarkable growth by concentrating on organic growth methods such as content marketing, SEO, and social media posting. In fact, some of our clients have doubled & tripled their website traffic within a year by utilizing these strategies:
- Content Marketing: Create high-quality content that is relevant to your target audience. This content can be in the form of blog posts, articles, infographics, videos, or anything else that your audience will find valuable.
- SEO: Optimize your website for search engines so that your content is more likely to be found by potential visitors. This includes things like keyword research, on-page optimization, and off-page optimization. Find out more about our customized SEO services.
- Email Campaigns: Your email list is a valuable asset when it comes to promoting your new website. Craft a personalized message that explains what's new and highlights the most valuable features. You might also want to create a dedicated email marketing campaign to build even more buzz.
- Social Media: Engage your audience by promoting your website launch on your social media channels. Share attention-grabbing visuals and clear calls-to-action to encourage clicks and engagement. Don't forget to use video content to really make a splash!
- Paid Advertising: If you want to quickly increase your website traffic, consider investing in paid advertising. With various targeting tools and platforms available, you can reach your ideal audience and get your website in front of more eyes.
- Marketing Collateral: Brochures, flyers, social media posts, ebooks, email campaigns, and other graphic design services can communicate a value proposition and brand messaging to potential customers, build brand awareness and recognition, generate leads and conversions, and ultimately drive revenue.
It's All About Process
As you can see, launching a new website is not a simple task – it takes tedious and dedicated work. But with Neon Flamingo Creative, we make daunting tasks manageable!
Are you seeking a strategic partner who can assist you in building a website that effectively converts your prospects into paying customers and drives sales for your business? If your website is underperforming or if your branding and content do not accurately reflect your business, we would like to have a conversation with you. Our team provides free, actionable advice, regardless of whether we are a good match. Request a quote below to find out more.